Selling your house is a process and one of the first steps in the process is making sure your home is ready for the real estate market. 2016 buyers are largely looking for move-in ready homes, so taking the extra steps to prepare your home will go a long way, and help sell your house.
Got a free weekend? Make home repairs a family event!
- Pressure wash the whole house and the driveway.
- Slap on a fresh coat of paint on the front door, the window trims and any walls that need a fresh look. Maybe even paint the exterior of the house if the pressure wash was not enough to make it shine. Don’t forget the shed!
- Tighten up any loose doorknobs or hanging screens on windows. Check your fans and lighting fixtures, and all uncovered power sockets should be repaired.
- Clean the yard. Trim tree branches, get rid of dead plants and plants new ones, tame any shrubbery, and definitely mow the grass. Rake the leaves if you are selling in the Fall. Make sure the yard looks neat and showcases the features of the home.
- Blow off the roof and clear out any debris in the gutters. Check the gutters all around the home and make sure there are no leaks or loose parts.
- Walk around the home and check all window trims and door edges for any rotten wood and repair it if you can. You might need to consult a professional.
- De-clutter and organize everything. Think Spring Cleaning times 10. Organize bookshelves, clean out your pantry, straighten up any art hanging on the walls, and put extra items away in storage. Simplicity is elegance when showcasing a home.
- Repair broken items. Fix squeaky doors and grease closet rails. Repair any outdoor furniture that is showing signs of weather.
- Organize the garage. If you are selling a home with a two-car garage, make sure a potential customer can see two cars fitting in it.
- Clean all windows from the inside and dust all furniture and fans. Turn over any stained furniture cushions and wash all curtains. Polish the floors and steam the carpets, you might need to consult a professional for a deeper clean.
Congrats! You have done a large chunk of what you can do to get your home ready for sale!
Next step? Call Thomas Group Realty and let us guide you the rest of the way. Read more on selling a house in Gainesville, FL and give us a call (352) 226-8228.